Wednesday 10 September 2014

152. OS: 7: The Other Woman (Part 12)

Section 12


“Khushi,” he murmured, relieved that she was sharing the same space as him, trapped in the room with him. She would have to listen to him, accept his plea for forgiveness...



She turned her head away.

ASR walked up to her. “Khushi, look at me,” he said softly.

Khushi refused to look at him. “Why did you want to see me?” she asked, her voice cold.

This was not how their conversation was supposed to go, Arnav thought, frantic. All night he had imagined a hundred ways in which he would apologise and she would accept, a thousand scenarios, many ways in which this scene could play out, none of which had included a cold Khushi refusing to look at him.
He had expected her to be angry, sad, tearful, wary...but not cold. Because coldness was not part of her nature. She was warm, sunny, soothing...



Kehene keliye kuch baaki bacha he, saale...saheb?” she asked, her eyes on the rich red drapes covering a window. “Some abuse that you forgot to utter yesterday? Ab yaad aaya aapko?”

Ice had much to learn from her.

“Khushi, suno,” he tried to touch her shoulder. She shrugged his hand away, her very stance signalling rejection.



How could she push him away from her? How could she refuse to acknowledge his need for her forgiveness?

He caught her by her shoulders and turned her around to face him, his hands firm. His eyes burned in to hers. Her eyes were no less scorching.

“Don’t turn away when I am speaking to you,” he hissed, trying to pull her closer to him.

She stood her ground in more ways than one. “What will you do if I do, you saale...saheb?”



He swallowed hard. Fire and panic burned him in equal measure.

“I am sorry, Khushi,” he blurted out.

“You are manhandling me because you are sorry?” One brow rose up.

“I am sorry, Khushi,” he murmured, his fingers loosening on her shoulders but not letting her go. That was beyond him. “Sorry for misunderstanding you, sorry for the rubbish I said...”

“Aren’t you sorry for kidnapping me?” Khushi asked. If she was getting an apology, she wanted a good one.

“Yes, I am sorry for..kidnapping you,” he admitted.

“For accusing me of stealing your sister’s husband?” she asked, her gaze direct and merciless.

“Yes,” he whispered.

“For saying that Shyamji gives me money, jewellery and holidays?” she asked, her head cocked.



“Yes,” he whispered, ashamed of himself. His contrite eyes looked at her bare neck covered only by her dupatta, the cheap trinkets hanging from her ears, the glass bangles on her arms.

“What kind of work do I do for Shyamji, saale...saheb?” Khushi asked, her eyes spitting fire at him. Her arms rose to clutch at the lapels of his coat.

“You deal with his files, answer the phone,” he murmured, the muscles of his throat stiff and frozen.

“How do I make Shyamji ‘comfortable’?” she asked, shaking him or trying to shake him as he had done to her, her distress at her humiliation at his hands very evident to him. “Who do you think I am? Am I Shyamji’s girl friend? His rakhail?”

“No, no, Khushi,” he whispered, shocked and distubed by the glimpse of the ocean of pain she was carrying within her.

“Do I destroy families, break hearts?” she asked, shaking him, her fingers clawing at the fine fabric of his coat.

“No, Khushi. You don’t. I am sorry,” he said softly, conscience-stricken.

“Would my parents have died of shame to see what I have become?” Tears filled her eyes but her voice was firm, her hands hard.

“No, Khushi. They would have been proud of you,” he whispered, abashed.

“Is my family selling me to the highest bidder?” she asked, each word a missile to blast his pretensions.

“No, no,” he cried out. The faces of Buaji and Payal rose before his eyes.

“How dare you say bad things about them? How dare you?” Khushi pushed him.

 He let her push him to the wall. He stood with his back against the wall, letting her spew her hurt at him.

“I am sorry, Khushi,” he said quietly.

“Sorry,” her lips twisted in contempt. “What was it that you promised to give me if I made you ‘comfortable’?” she asked.

He gulped.

“More money, more gold, more fun, right?” Khushi asked, not letting a single tear filling her eyes leak out.

“Khushi,” he breathed.

“Shall I tell you what you can do with your money, your gold and your fun, Mr. Arnav Singh Raizada?” she challenged him.

“Khushi, I am sorry,” The words left him on a pain-filled sigh.

“You don’t have enough money to buy me, Mr. Raizada, and you never will, even if you are the richest man on earth.” Her statement was quiet and the more potent for it. “I work hard for my living. And if at some point I am unable to work, I will kill myself rather than sell my body to you.” Her honest eyes looked right in to his.

“Marry me, Khushi.” The words slipped out of his mouth, shocking both of them.

The jolt of the bombshell dried the tears in her eyes. She fell back in shock, her hands letting go of his coat.

He stood staring at her.

He hadn’t meant to say it. He had thought it in the darkness of the night, had hidden his longing for her in the dark recesses of his mind, had never imagined he would propose marriage to her or anyone, but once the words were out of his mouth, he was pleased, at peace. He wanted her in his life. He wanted her honesty and her fire and her laughter and her innocence and her warmth and her smiles in his life.



“Marry me, Khushi,” he said it once more, loving the way the words sounded. She would be his forever, always with him, a part of him. Nothing and no one could take her away from him, he thought, his heart settling down.



Khushi’s lips twisted in a cynical smile. “Acha? Why should I? Why should I marry a man who kidnaps girls and then offers to buy them at their going price? A man who is apparently as immoral as he thought me to be?”



Section 13


25 comments:

  1. Bravo Khushi!!!! Loved the fire in her. She really gave it to him. So Arnav will have to put up a fight/ work harder to get her to accept his proposal. Thanks for the wonderful update Smita. Can't wait for the next one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arnav has his work cut out for him. The normally reserved, silent man opened his mouth one evening and is still paying for it! LOL!

      Delete
  2. Go Khushi! The score KKG = many : ASR = 0. So ASR proposed to her - did he think that she was going to accept it so easlily? Looks like a long, slippery slope for our Arnav bitwaa to climb.I think he should sweat it out for a while. Thank you for the prompt update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ASR has put the cards on the table. Now Khushi can kick him where it hurts the most..ha..ha..

      Delete
  3. arnav teri khisak gayi hai kya
    am sure she didnt shake him that much for him to say what he did
    bawre ho gaye hain lagta hai
    not used to being abused by others so he is spouting rubbish
    excuse me you must get your brain tested mr ASR
    not that it would make much difference
    but am glad about khushi
    she didnt take any crap from him
    and gave it back to him hundrefolds
    go khushi i was like loving it what she said to him
    time to show him the mirror i tell you
    and she did just that
    what did he think she would jump at chance to marry him
    why would she after what he said
    even if he hadnt said what he did she doesnt have any reason to accept his proposal
    hmmm her saying his words back seem worse dont they ASR
    yes they do
    but i loved this ice cold khushi
    she can give ASR a run for his money in her coldness
    haiyye main vari jawan iss kudi pe
    time to make him beg and grovel
    wait he has already grovelled
    but more will not harm anyone
    and is good for his super huge ego which can be deflated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She shook him till the few grey cells he had turned in to mush. Now he is gonna pay!

      Delete
  4. Smita! You are a sweetheart!

    Just arrived home after a long day work and home visiting for one of my students who was absent, and your delicious update pops up after refreshing your page. La vie est belle avec tes histoires! MERCI!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Khushi is going to make ASR's life more bootiphool & exciting..ha..ha..

      Delete
    2. I loved the photos and update! You are doing Jaadoo with your writing :-)

      Delete
  5. Lessons learnt by Mr Raizada -- " Think, assess the situation, dig for the facts and above all, choose your words very carefully. Open your mind before you open your mouth. Especially when the words are to be hurled at a certain Khushi Kumari Gupta. Cos there is every chance that they might return to haunt you for days to come !! "

    An impromptu marriage proposal, Mr Raizada ?!? Desperate much ? A last-ditch attempt to fix the mess and rightfully keep her in your pocket, hamesha. Well, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. Iss longing ko kya naam doon ?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pagalpan. Ordinary pagalpan nahi, Passionate Pagalpan. PP..ha..ha..

      Delete
  6. Smi, as if one reader posting in French wasn't enough, you now have a teacher making generous use of her French !! In case you want the translation of the last line posted by Madame Mojgane, it is -- ' Life is beautiful with your stories '.
    Right, Madame ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to ask you..ha..ha..I hit my hand on my head like Buaji when I saw Mojgane's French..ha..ha..

      Delete
    2. Vous êtes toutes les deux adorables! J'ai l'impression que je vous connais il y a longtemps :-)

      Delete
    3. Pryia chérie ! Ton français est parfait! Bravo!

      Delete
  7. Loved the fiery and fiesty Khushi of yours Smita. Let her make ASR work hard before she marries him...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he deserves to pay, to learn to think before he opens his mouth..LOL!

      Delete
  8. It's a new day but the same old question - next update?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kaaycee for always asking the essential question :-)

      Delete
    2. ha..ha..Dekhti hoon. Aaj thoda zyada kaam he.

      Delete
  9. It was awesome update..
    First when I read " marry me kushi". I thought I read it wrongly, then again saw that line. It was unbelievable for me..
    poor ASR.. he still has to realize how depth he has digged hole in kushi's life.. unfortunately no one gonna fill that hole for him except he himself.
    Why arnav has to face such situation in every story smita? I know it's his character imprinted in our mind but I want to read a story where kushi creates some mess and then she trying to pacify arnav. Kaddoos ASR and sanki Kushi only but situation opposite.. I don't know I making any sense or not..lol...
    But coming to update, it was fab as usual..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another story mein try karti hoon.

    ReplyDelete