Tuesday 5 May 2015

215. OS 10. An Unexpected Visitor (Part 23)





Link to my new short story: Taking Care of You


“I thought I was dreaming when I first saw you," he said.

 “How did you know it was me?” she asked. “I could have been anybody. A thief even.”

He smiled wearily. “I don’t know many thieves who would look at me with anxious eyes and then cry because I was sick,” he mumbled.

Is it possible for love to bloom, sight unseen? Juhi and Abhay are strangers who know each other better than they know themselves. One night changes the equation and the even tenor of their lives and puts all their doubts and fears to rest.


http://pothi.com/pothi/book/ebook-smita-ramachandran-taking-care-you



Link to my first e-novel; A Home for Meenakshi

http://pothi.com/pothi/book/ebook-smita-ramachandran-home-meenakshi

"I love the way you love, Meenu," he whispered, his eyes on hers. "Such loyalty, such passion..."

Meenakshi Sharma, an orphan, lives in Varanasi with her uncle, a chronic bachelor who wants her to become a professional musician. She unwillingly relocates to Delhi to study under a renowned musician for eight months. Staying for rent in the outhouse of the Agrawals, she meets Aditya Agrawal, an attractive young man brooding over the memories of his horrendous past. Pulled between her uncle's expectations of her and Aditya's love for her, Meenakshi struggles with her feelings. How can she disappoint her uncle who had devoted his entire life to her upbringing? How can she pretend to be blind to Aditya's feelings for her? A romance that moves between the alleys of the holy city of Varanasi and the modern city of Delhi.

A blog for my VMs:

http://smitarsvms.blogspot.in/






Part 23




“Buaji, Arnavji suggested that you come and stay in Shantivan with us after the marriage,” Khushi said bluntly.

“Hein?” Buaji asked, her brows raised in astonishment.

“You will be alone here after our marriage,” Khushi reminded her.

Buaji blinked. Then she said slowly, “Arnav babua said so?”

“Ji, Buaji,” Khushi affirmed.

The middle-aged lady’s eyes filled with tears. “How kind he is to think of this old lady!” she exclaimed. “He is so sanskaari, so well-brought up. Devyaniji must be so proud of him.”

Khushi nodded. Buaji seemed more emotional about Arnavji’s offer than about her own niece leaving her! This world was definitely ajeeb! She was ajeeb. Thank God she had an equally ajeeb man in Arnavji!

Buaji dried her eyes with a heart-felt sigh. “I am blessed to have so good a damadji, Nandkisore,” she said.

“So you will join us, Buaji?” Khushi asked.

“No, Titliya,” Buaji said with a smile. “I will stay here with my Nandkisore. You go and stay with Arnav babua.”

“Buaji,” Khushi protested.

“No, Titliya. Your place is among the Raizadas. I will visit you, Nandkisore,” Buaji smiled.

Khushi parted her lips to protest, but Buaji said, “I am happy here, Khussi, where I lived with your Phoophaji. Look, that’s the belan I used to scare him with, Nandkisore.”

Khushi looked at the historic belan that had seen many battles.

“That’s is his old-fashioned umbrella in the corner, standing where he left it,” Buaji sighed. “I told him to take it to work, but would he ever listen to me? That stubborn old man! He got wet in the rain and died coughing,” Buaji complained.

Khushi nodded, trying not to smile at Buaji’s disgruntled face.

“Khussi, I am going to make arrangements for your mehendi. Let me see if I can get Hemaji to apply mehendi on your hands, Nandkisore,” Buaji said.

“Are we having it here, Buaji?” Khushi asked. “Will Arnavji and his family come here?” she asked in excitement.

“Hein? Arnav babua come here?” Buaji asked. “Why should he? Are you mad? Why should the boy come here for your mehendi? This function is just for the ladies of the two families and the neighbourhood.”

Khushi pouted.

“You show your nakhre to your Arnavji,” Buaji laughed at Khushi. “Not to me. I know you too well, Sanka Devi.”

Khushi sat watching Buaji waddle away chuckling. Then she quickly phoned Arnav.

“Arnavji, Buaji is going to arrange our mehendi here,” she informed him.

“Acha?” he asked, his heart leaping in joy at the thought that he could spend the day with her.

“But you can’t join us. It is for ladies,” she complained.

His mouth fell open.

“How unfair!” Khushi grumbled. “Why can’t grooms watch their brides apply mehendi? Who made this stupid rule?”

Arnav had to smile in the midst of his shock and disappointment.

“Waise, I think you should have been born as Buaji’s nephew. I am wasted as her niece,” Khushi grumbled.

“What?” Arnav asked, his face reflecting his confusion.

“She loves you more than she loves me. She said she is blessed to have so good a damadji as you. Aap ko pata he, in all the years I lived with her, she never said that she is blessed to have me as her niece. All she has said is Hai Re Nandkisore, what sin did I commit in my last birth that you have punished me with such an aafat ki pudiya as my niece?” Khushi grumbled with feeling.

Arnav doubled over laughing.

“Anyway she doesn’t want to join us at Shantivan, Arnavji,” Khushi explained. “I think she is planning to enjoy her life after she gets rid of me.”



Arnav tried to swallow his chuckles.

“Aap khulke hasiye, kheee kheee kheee. I know you are laughing,” Khushi informed him.

Arnav burst out laughing.

A small smile appeared on Khushi’s face as she heard his laughter.

“You enjoy your amusement. I am going,” she said.

“Khushi...Khushi..” Arnav  called urgently, blinking his eyes to clear his eyes of tears of hilarity.

“Ji?” she asked, resigned.

“I will talk to Nani and get her to let me join you for mehendi,” he promised.

“You will?” she asked, her eyes bright with excitement.

“Yes,” he vowed. “All of them will be with you that day. Why can’t Akash, Mamaji and I join you?”

“Do you think Naniji will let you come here?” Khushi asked doubtfully.

“She will,” he asserted, sure of his persuasive skills.






But he was to be disappointed.

“No, Chotey,” Nani stated firmly. “There is no way you can sit among the girls applying mehendi in Madhumatiji’s house.”

“Boys are banned from mehendi, Arnav bitwaa,” Mami explained.

“What will Buaji think of you if you join us, Chotey?” Anjali asked, trying to reason with him.

“Buaji loves me,” Arnav stated.

“I don’t know why she does,” Nani said in exasperation. “Boys are not permitted at mehendi. You are not joining us and that’s final.”

“Dadi,” Akash got a word in. “It is just the three of us. Can't you take us along too?”

“No,” Nani said.

“Then take at least Bhai with you. Please,” he begged.

Nani sighed, “No.”

Akash looked at Arnav, helpless.

Arnav nodded thanks for his efforts.





Arnav called Khushi.

“Khushi, I am sorry. Nani put her foot down. She said there is no way I can be at your mehendi. It seems men are banned from the function,” he apologised.

“Oh,” Khushi muttered in disappointment.



“Di said Buaji would feel bad if I walked in,” he explained.

“Anjaliji doesn’t know Buaji. She will do your aarti if you come home,” Khushi grimaced. “But it is alright, Arnavji. You stay home. I will send you photos. There is no ban on photos, is there?” she asked anxiously.

“I don’t think so,” he smiled.

“Then I will send you as many pictures as I can. You will feel as if you are here with me,” she promised.

“Yes,” he said softly.

“Send me your photo too, Arnavji. Then I may not miss you,” she said honestly.

“I will, Khushi,” he promised earnestly.















32 comments:

  1. As usual very nice. I have been stalking this blog for an update. You are late :( Did I miss a note from you?
    Anyway, loved the update, Poor boys trying their best to crash the Mehndi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the update. What??? No Arnavji for mehendi? Not possible, Smi. He is too sly to miss this golden opportunity to touch her... what with her mehendi decorated hands she won't be able to eat on her own...You know what I mean? ;-) ahem ahem.
    Waise..., he can sneak in to her room, under the cover of darkness, after all the guests have left and conduct their own private mehendi... à la ASR. ;-) Do relay my suggestion to him. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaahhhhh.... Finally air to breathe... Thanks a ton for the update...... Hoping for a private mehendi too! 😁😁😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for making you wait! Next update will be on time...I hope!

      Delete
    2. Hey is Arnav not going to fulfill Khushi's wish by attending the mehandi?

      Delete
    3. Hey is Arnav not going to fulfill Khushi's wish by attending the mehandi?

      Delete
    4. It's ok dear Smita.... Was concerned whether you are okay.... Take your time if you are busy.... Take care..

      Delete
  4. Hope Arnav can sneak in for the mehndi ceremony!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice part. Khushi is so jelous of buaji's love for arnav :-). I am sure arnav will come for the mehendi by hook or crook :-). Continue soon.

    Pinkly (IF ID)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Buaji is in love with Arnav. Poor Khushi. Let's see what Arnav does.

      Delete
  6. buaju surely doesnt know arnav .. else she will have a hard time tryin to figure who is the crazier among those two:-)) howz arnav gonna convince n attend the mehendi??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Buaji has no idea what's going through Arnav's head.

      Delete
  7. wow beautiful update loved it can't wait for next part thank you...............ameena671

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey smitha, loved the update..i have loved the preview of your e books too..especially taking care of you....i really want to read them fully..but there is a problem..i don't know how to buy them.as i don't live in India..and don't have a credit card also..only debit..so what shall i do..???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just contact the publishers on the contact page given on the Pothi.com site and ask them. They will help you out. Or you can use a friend's credit card and reimburse them.

      Delete
  9. Wonderful update....
    How will arnav attend mehendi ceremony and fulfill khushi's wish....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful update....
    How will arnav attend mehendi ceremony and fulfill khushi's wish....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! i am sure Arnav is going to find a way to attend mehendi. can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww poor arhi
    They so wanna be with one another
    But these ladies aren't letting them
    Bhaade mein jaaye ritti riwaaj
    Surely what the bride and groom want should be top priority
    Its not like the men will do much
    Maybe that's why
    Nothing to do that's why
    Buaji really loves arnav
    But she loves khushi too
    And she is. Happy that khushi is marrying arnav
    She knows he will take care of her
    Don't worry khushi ajeebness is in your family
    Even new one
    So mehendi just one more ritual and then their shaadi

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's going to be a real treat to see how he tries to sneak into khushie house for Mehindi

    ReplyDelete
  14. waiting to see if Arnav will sneak into the house..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww....the end part was too cute
    Both r really gonna miss each other
    PlZzz let Arnav sneak in the house

    ReplyDelete
  16. Buaji n Nani...no one I'd allowing Arnav to attend the mehndi function..
    Let's see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  17. No meeting of Arnav and Khushi for Mehendi.....how are these two going to survive............

    ReplyDelete