Thursday 5 November 2015

241. OS 13. Laad Governor and Afghan Jalebi (Part 5)




Link to my new short story: Taking Care of You


“I thought I was dreaming when I first saw you," he said.

 “How did you know it was me?” she asked. “I could have been anybody. A thief even.”

He smiled wearily. “I don’t know many thieves who would look at me with anxious eyes and then cry because I was sick,” he mumbled.

Is it possible for love to bloom, sight unseen? Juhi and Abhay are strangers who know each other better than they know themselves. One night changes the equation and the even tenor of their lives and puts all their doubts and fears to rest.


http://pothi.com/pothi/book/ebook-smita-ramachandran-taking-care-you



Link to my first e-novel; A Home for Meenakshi

http://pothi.com/pothi/book/ebook-smita-ramachandran-home-meenakshi

"I love the way you love, Meenu," he whispered, his eyes on hers. "Such loyalty, such passion..."

Meenakshi Sharma, an orphan, lives in Varanasi with her uncle, a chronic bachelor who wants her to become a professional musician. She unwillingly relocates to Delhi to study under a renowned musician for eight months. Staying for rent in the outhouse of the Agrawals, she meets Aditya Agrawal, an attractive young man brooding over the memories of his horrendous past. Pulled between her uncle's expectations of her and Aditya's love for her, Meenakshi struggles with her feelings. How can she disappoint her uncle who had devoted his entire life to her upbringing? How can she pretend to be blind to Aditya's feelings for her? A romance that moves between the alleys of the holy city of Varanasi and the modern city of Delhi.

A blog for my VMs:

http://smitarsvms.blogspot.in/



Dedicated to Supriya Sahasrabuddhe (Sups/ aniyathi). She wanted Mami and Payal to plot to bring A-K together. So here goes,




Part 5



“Nani, I tried to talk to Chotey about marriage,” Anjali said softly.


Mami, nani and Payal looked at Anjali’s drawn face.


“What did he say?” nani asked.


“Bhat will hamre Arnav bitwaa says, Saasumma? What he always says. That he doesn’t believe in marrijj, doesn’t bant to marry. Aur kaa, hello hi bye bye?” mami asked. “He hajj been saying it for years. Isme new kaa he?”


Payal frowned. “Why is jetji so against marriage?” she asked softly.


The Raizada ladies looked at her with sorrow in their eyes. Then they told her about Arnav and Anjali’s parents, their suicide, the reason for their untimely death, the aftermath of their death, the effect it had on the lives of the children....


Payal’s eyes filled with tears.


“So Chotey believes that love doesn’t exist,” Anjali said, drying her cheeks.


“That marrijj ijj a jokewaa,” mami added.


“That no shaadi can last forever. That relationships fail and as they self-combust, other lives are destroyed along with them,” Anjali said.


“That’s not true,” Payal interjected softly.


“We know, Payaliya. But what is the use of our knowing it? Chotey has to know. How can he know what love is if he has never felt it?” nani asked.


“This is so sad, daadiji,” Payal whispered, teary-eyed. “Poor Arnavji. He is planning to be alone all his life?”


“Yes,” nani lowered her head in sorrow. Anjali and Payal had wet eyes.


Mami jumped up, unable to bear such fatalism and negativity.
“Think positive, Saasumma,” she exhorted.


“What is positive about my grandson wasting his life with laptops and files and being alone and lonely all his life?” nani asked acerbically.


“Saasumma, bhy doesn’t hamre Arnav bitwaa believe in love? Because he has never felt love? Am I right?” mami asked.


All nodded.


“Wahi to. To hum karva denge. We bill make him feel love,” mami declared.


“Satiya gayi ho, Manorama?” nani asked. “How can we make him feel love?”


“By making bootiphool girlswaa walk left, right, left before him,’ mami declared.


“Manorama!”


“Mami!”


“Manorama, he works with beautiful girls every day. Phir bhi he has never fallen for any one of them. Even though they wear tiny clothes,” nani shot down Manno rani’s idea.


“To modelwaa change karwaaiyy deth he, Saasumma,” mami declared.



“Matlab?” Anjali asked.


“If hamre Arnav bitwaa doesn’t like chote kapde girls, we bill get long kapde girls for him,” mami said.


“Are you running a modelling agency for you to pull girls out of your hat, Manorama? That too girls who will be willing to march before Chotey?” nani asked, furious.


“Naahi, Saasumma. Lekin aap chinta mat keejiye. Bilkul borryless ho jaayiye. Manorama Baand at your serbice. Hum sab karvai deth he. Payaliya, call Khussi. Ask her to come here,” mami ordered.


All gasped.


“Aap kaa kar rahe ho, Manorama?” nani asked. “Hosh mein ho aap?”


“Khussi ijj the test dose, saasumma. Let ujj see how hamre Arnav bitwaa behaves to her. If Arnav bitwaa doesn’t like so beautiful a girl, then...” her voice trailed away. “Hamein kuch aur karega padi,” she concluded.


Nani opened her mouth to blast Manorama, but she was silenced by Anjali’s slow “Yes.”


All looked at Anjali.


“We should give him a chance,” she said thoughtfully.


“Anjali bitiyya,” nani protested.


“But Khushi?’ Payal asked.


“Kaun jaane, nani, what Devi Maiyya has in store for him? He is unhappy now. Shayad Khushiji might touch his heart,” Anjali said softly.


“But Khushi? She will feel bad,” Payal inserted.


“Only if she knows. Payaliya, we won’t tell her. To praablem solved,” mami explained.


“Invite her for a visit, nani,” Anjali suggested. “Payalji, we promise that Khushiji won’t be hurt.”


Payal nodded reluctantly.





                                     ***




ASR walked into his office at eight and set his laptop on his table.


Lavanya pushed open the door and entered the room.


He turned to look at her and without speaking, motioned to a chair.


Lavanya sat down.


“You wanted to talk, Lavanya?” he asked, his voice expressionless.


“Yes,” she replied.


“Talk,” he said.


“ASR, where do you see our relationship going?” she asked.


“What do you mean?” he asked.



“Don’t answer a question with another, ASR. You know very well what I am talking about,” Lavanya said passionately.






“I do,” he admitted. He stood up and walked to stand near the wall. He could see the empty seats of his employees from the height at which his office was perched.


“Then?” she asked.


He sighed. “Lavanya, you joined our London office five months back. On an official visit, we were introduced to each other. A month later, you applied to a position in our Delhi office when a vacancy popped up. We began working together. I had ended my association with Lisa six months back  and you made it clear that you were looking for a no strings attached affair. That was convenient for me. I agreed,” he said dispassionately.


Lavanya swallowed her words. He was being truthful. How could she refute him?





“I told you before we began to date that I was not looking for a committed relationship, that I had no intention of marrying or falling in love. I meant it, Lavanya. I meant every word of it. I still do. Nothing has changed,” ASR reassured himself. “I am still the Arnav Singh Raizada who told you not to fall in love with me or expect anything more from me. And you agreed, didn’t you?”


“Yes,” Lavanya said softly.


“I told you that all I could offer you was an occasional night of sex and a monogamous relationship as long as we continued to see each other. You were happy with the agreement three months back, Lavanya. So what is your problem now?” he asked.


“ASR,” Lavanya tried to make him understand. “People change. Relationships grow....”


“I don’t change, Lavanya and ASR doesn’t do relationships,” he said coldly, reminding himself that he shouldn’t be dreaming about fairies in sea green lehengas and hazel eyes.


“Why? Why are you like this, ASR?” she asked, tears filling her eyes.


ASR looked down at the entrance. Aman was answering the guard’s greeting as he entered the office.


“That’s irrelevant, Lavanya,” he blocked her.


“How can you keep me out of your heart, ASR? I am your girl friend!” Lavanya protested.


“I don’t do stuff like that, Lavanya. Girl friend-boy friend are terms other people give us. They are meaningless to me and you know it. And I don’t do live-ins either. I have never hidden my distaste of any kind of personal bond forming between me and the ladies I have dated over the years,” he said.


“But you told your sister about us,” Lavanya protested.


“She knows whom I am seeing at the moment. She always has,” ASR said casually “That’s because I have nothing to hide or be ashamed of. I am a bachelor and an adult. If I want to sleep with someone, I don’t need to do it in a clandestine manner. And I told you in no uncertain times three months back that the only thing you could depend on was that I date only one lady at a time. I never, never cheat. Not in business, not in sex.”


Lavanya lost it “You are heartless, ASR,” she exploded.


“I am,” he agreed coolly. And the more he remembered it, the better for him, he told himself.


“I don’t know why I—I am a fool to have expected you to—you are a demon, ASR. No heart. You are cold. Do you think any woman will stay with you if you never open your heart to her?” Lavanya asked, hurt and angry.


“As you said, I have no heart to open. Just a heavy purse,” ASR said calmly.


“You are terrible. I don’t know why I got involved with you,” Lavanya shouted.


“I told you three months back that you are free to leave this contract/ deal whenever you want. I will take this as your notice, Lavanya. You are free from this moment. Good luck in your search for a romantic lover,” ASR said calmly.


Lavanya threw the table lamp at his head.


He ducked, having lots of practice.


The lamp fell to the floor, breaking into pieces.


“Don’t get the shards in your feet on your way out,” ASR said kindly. “Let me know if you wish to return to London.”


“You bastard!” Lavanya shouted at him.


ASR sighed. He had been hoping to get some work done, but Lavanya’s drama had taken care of the extra hour he had made for work.


“You are a rat. I hung around waiting for you to find a moment for me. I dressed for you; I dieted for you. I came down to this rotten place just for you...” Lavanya shouted.


“Did I ask you to?’ he asked quietly.


That took the wind from her sails. Tears poured down her cheeks.


ASR passed her the box of tissues.




When her tears were under control, ASR said softly, “I am a bad bet, Lavanya. Girls are usually smart enough to realise that and give me a wide berth.”


Lavanya sniffed.


“You knew it. But your kind heart wanted to believe the best of me, give me a chance,” ASR said quietly. “It was wasted on me.”


“Why?” Lavanya let out a tear-laden cry.


He sighed heavily.





He pointed to his head. “This is full of nightmares,” he said.


Lavanya blinked.


“And there is nothing here,” he pointed at where his heart should be. “Just a big, black vacuum.”


She stared at him.


“There is no space for another person in my head, Lavanya. All of it is taken up by blood-curdling screams and cries, scary memories and bitter experiences” he explained softly.


She looked at him as though she had never seen him before, scared, fearful. Who was this man?





“You know my body, a little, very little, Lavanya, but not my mind. It is something out of your worst dreams. Be thankful to be spared it,” he said softly, meaning every word of it.


Lavanya stared at him, terrified out of her skull.


“Would you like to return to London? Back to your family?” he asked gently.


“Yes,” she choked out.


“We will make the arrangements. Want to cancel the lease on your flat?” he asked.


“Yes,” she replied.


“Aman will see to it. This is your last week in Delhi, Lavanya. If you wish to stay at home rather than work, it is fine,” he said.


“No, I would rather work than mope at home,” she decided.


“As you wish,” ASR replied.


Aman knocked on the door.


“Aman, Lavanya will be leaving us in a week. Book her ticket to London and cancel the lease of her flat for her,” ASR instructed.


‘Another one bites the dust,’ Aman thought. “Yes, sir,” he said. ‘Now ASR will work all hours of the day and night for six months before looking around for the next fool,’ he thought.




                                  ***




“Khussi, bulava aaya he, Nandkisore,” buaji said, hugging her.


Khushi blinked. Bulava aaya he? From Devi Maiyya? Her tenure on earth was done? Khushi frowned. But she had just been to the temple. Devi Maiyya hadn’t mentioned anything when they met.


“Everything happened so fast, Titliyya that,” buaji shook her head.


‘What happened in the one hour I was away?’ Khushi thought. She looked at Preetho standing behind buaji, leaning against the wall. She was smirking.


“Devyaniji called from Delhi, Nandkisore,” buaji began.


Khushi’s eyes flew open in alarm. “Jiji? How is she?” she asked.


“Payaliya is homesick, Titliya,” the middle-aged lady said.


“It has been just one week after the shaadi, buaji,” Khushi tried to suppress the bad feeling she was getting. “It is natural that she is missing us.”


Buaji ignored Khushi’s interruption. “Payaliya wants to see you. So Devyaniji phoned and asked us if you would visit Delhi, Nandkisore,” buaji said.


Khushi clutched her heart, panic-stricken.


Preetho chuckled soundlessly at Khushi’s plight.


“We said yes, of course,” Garima added from the courtyard. “Khussi, pack your clothes for two weeks.”


Khushi stared at her family, speechless at the turn of events.


“They are sending a car and a maid to accompany you, Khussi. Jaldi pack kar lio. You have to set out early tomorrow morning,” Garima said.


“Amma,” Khushi demurred.


“Kaa he, Khussi?” Garima asked.


“How can I—matlab going to Delhi in the middle of the wedding season—babuji’s dukaan—he will find it difficult to manage,” Khushi tried her best.


“Munna and Krishna will help him. Payaliya is more important to us than the minor inconvenience your absence will cause your babuji,” Garima declared. “Go pack. Preetho will help you.”


Khushi tottered off to her bedroom, Preetho following her.





As soon as the door closed behind them, Preetho asked, “So Khussi rani, tell me, for whom are you travelling to Delhi, all ban dhanke?”


Khushi threw her pillow at Preetho, who caught it and threw it back on Khushi’s bed.


“Kaho, kaho,” Preetho teased her.


“It will be nice to meet Nanheji again,” Khushi finally said.


“Not the jetji?” Preetho asked, her dark eyes twinkling.


“No,” Khushi replied.


“Why? He is handsome, better looking than your Nanheji,” Preetho bugged her.


“He may be better looking, but Nanheji has a heart. That—that Laad Governor has no heart. He is rude and obnoxious. If I could, I would—I would pour honey all over him and invite all the ants in Lucknow to feast on him!” Khushi declared.


Preetho’s face changed. She quickly walked to Khushi, caught hold of her by her shoulders and asked, “Khussi, tell me now. What did he say to you to make you so angry?”


“Nothing,” Khushi mumbled.


“Did he hurt you?” she asked urgently.


“No,” Khushi muttered.


“Why did you say he was rude? Did he insult you?” Preetho asked.


Khushi sighed. It was no use hiding things from Preetho. With the tenacity of a bulldog, she would dig and nag till she got her answers.


“Yes,” she said. “He said—he said that he didn’t want my jalebi or me.”


“Really? That was rude,” Preetho shook her head in amused agreement. “You should definitely fight with him. Add poppy seeds to his sherbet, cut his hair when he is asleep.”


“He asked if I thought a billionaire would fall for me if I flaunted my assets and accosted him,” Khushi said in a hurry. “He asked me to keep my middle class tricks to myself, to stay in my aukat.”


Preetho’s face changed and took on a reddish hue. “He said—he said...,” she couldn’t complete the sentence. “Khussi, kill him. Kill him, Khussi. Jail baad mein dekh lenge hum. Don’t let him live. He doesn’t deserve to draw breath.”


Khushi nodded. “I would, but he is jiji’s jetji. I can’t very well go around killing my jiji’s jetji. It is bad manners,” she sighed.


“You were dressed modestly in the lehenga. No one could get even a glimpse of your waist. So what flaunting were you doing?” Preetho thundered. “And accosting him? All you did was talk to him. And middle class? If that hurts so much why did he and his family come all the way to Lucknow looking for a bride from this family? They could have gotten a girl from a rich family in Delhi!”


“Kya karoon, Preetho? I have to go to his house and I don’t even want to look at him,” Khushi said sadly.


“And what is your aukat? You are well-behaved, decent, hard working, honest. I am sure your aukat will be better than his,” Preetho said, her hands on her hips. “Bada aaya Raizada from Delhi!”


Khushi sat hugging her pillow.


Preetho frowned. “Khussi, why did he say such nasty things to the sister of the girl his brother was marrying? I mean, he has to see you all his life. And he must be sure that his brother is marrying into a good family. It doesn’t make any sense,” she thought aloud.


“He didn’t know I was jiji’s sister,” Khushi confessed, her voice low.


“Kya?” Preetho shouted.


There was a long silence.


Then Preetho said, “So he thought you were a stranger. And you, of course, had no idea who he was.”


Khushi nodded.


A long while later Preetho said, “Khussi, you liked him when you saw him.”


“To?” Khushi asked, miffed.


“You hated him when he spoke to you,” Preetho said.


“To?” Khushi asked crossly.


“Now let’s see what you think of him when you get to know him,” Preetho said with a smile.



Khushi threw the pillow at Preetho.




Part 5



Anjali who tried to find a way to talk with her Chotey so that he would come out of the bitter experience they had in the past told the rest of the ladies that she tried… The result was obvious from her worried look and Mami rightly surmised that he had rejected it outright to even give it a thought… Payal who had glimpsed the courteous and caring side of him that was hid behind his gruff facade presented to the world, wondered why he was dead against marriage? Coming to know the reason being their past that had disillusioned him on the notion of Faith, Love and Happiness, she could not comprehend why he could conclude so with just this experience… All she could see was he was all set to destroy himself by cynicism and disillusionment, which would detonate as effectively as a bomb and destroy him over a period of time and his lonely existence would add to his cynical attitude… The more anger you carry on your heart over the past… the harder it becomes for you to love in the present… In fact, you cannot suffer the past or the future because they do not exist… What you are suffering is your memory and your imagination… Now knowing the reason why it was put up she was determined to help to take the fence down… So when Mami suggested of bringing on Khushi into the picture, Payal was apprehensive that her sister could get caught in the cross-fire and be hurt. Under the assurance from all, that Mami’s plan of not keeping Khushi in the loop would be foolproof she relented… Her mother-in-law’s reasoning was that even though he was surrounded by beautiful girls, fawning over him all the time, they had not piqued his interest even a little bit even when they paraded themselves in front of him in their wee bit of clothing and so he had not fallen in love with any one of them… They were not what he needed and wanted in his life…  So now it was time to resort to the traditional girls… The charm is about being forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable and make him think she is absolutely wonderful… All he needed was the right person… a person to awaken the tenderness of heart… Khushi possesses a personal charm of cheerful temperament… a charm that would induce Arnav to learn the grace of letting go of his past and the power of moving on… When our actions are based on good intentions our soul has no regret, was what made Payal agree to it….




ASR who had gone to office early to get work done, had an early visitor Lavanya, asking him to state the state of their relationship status… Her blunt query met with an equally blunt answer that it was status quo… It was as it was when stated in the very beginning… A no strings attached affair but with an assurity of fidelity as long as it lasted… And she had entered it with her eyes wide open… Lavanya’s indication that she hoped for more with the passage of time made no dent in his resolve… Truth is like sun… You can shut it out for a time but it won’t go away… Lavanya came across the bitter truth… She realized that her wish to have a bigger say in ASR”s life was nothing but just her whimsical thoughts… Her path with ASR had led to a cul-de-sac… Her burst of anger at him for being resolute and adamant to stick to his original resolve had no effect on him but made him coolly state maybe she would like to move back with her parents in London and he would see that her wishes are met… Her wish to know the reason for his rigidity was met with an enigmatic answer that it was due to murky past and she was better off than to get messed in it… With this stated he instructed Aman do the required arrangements which promptly made his Man Friday think one more hope flattened out…




As per their plan, the Raizada ladies threw in their first dice and it was towards Gupta House… They called up with a request to spare Khushi and let her stay with them to console Payal who was pining for her home in Lucknow… To Khushi’s chagrin, Guptas’ readily agreed and Preetho who was a witness to this started to tease her… Preetho’s probe on her happiness to be with her Jiji that was also the abode of her Jiji’s Jethji, has Khushi open up and relate the entire fiasco with ASR… This made Preetho fret and fume… She was flabbergasted that anyone could think so low of Khushi…. After coming to know this happened before both Khushi and Arnav realized that they were newly related by marriage, Preetho put forward her take of the situation… Khushi had liked him at first sight… Hated him after she spoke to him for the first time… Now she would love to see what happens when she gets to know him at his bastion… This smiling challenge was a push of a romantic heart, as a response got a pillow thrown at her, for her endeavor…




Just loved it… Smita just loved it… Your take on ASR and Lavanya is absolutely perfect… Both had entered into the relationship as consenting adults and ASR never betrayed her… It was Lavanya who had nurtured hopes where there was nil… And she was brave enough to take a call… You have dealt with the breakup with finesse… 











56 comments:

  1. Ok now the drama starts... I am excited.. Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mami and her mind blowing ideas. Wonderful update Smita.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was awesome. Thank you Smita for giving frequent updates. That is so sweet of you and and it is a reward for my stalking for updates.

    Mami was bang on! Arnav doesn't like women in chote kapde so why not try long. After all our hero is coming out with a new range of Indian clothing.

    Hydsri

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was heart wrenching. Poor Lavanya. That said, I'm not wasting anymore sympathy on her. Am going to read this once again b'cos it's too good. Will comment later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "To Hum Karva Denge" " Payaliyya, call Khussi. Ask her to come here" from your mouth to God's ears mamiji. Aaaaannnnnnndddd let the fireworks begin.

    That conversation with Lavanya. HATS OFF TO YOU SMITAJI. That's ASR at his best - cool, calm, unemotional, dispassionate, using his words with the unerring precision of a surgeon's scalpel. He certainly drew blood when he asked Lavanya "Did I ask you to?" At least he explained partially why he was emotionally unavailable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad for lavanya..but a lesson for her..waiting how 'll asr take khushi's entry in his mansion. Ohhhh its spiced up. .I m looking forward for more. ..thanks for such quick updates. ..interesting

    ReplyDelete
  7. With Diwali around the corner, I have so much to do and I'm sitting here unable to move from my laptop. I've read this update 5 times already. This is by far your BEST portrayal of ASR. I still can't get over it.
    "Another one bites the dust" Well, Aman the next one to bite the dust will be none other than your boss.
    Khushi's sixth, seventh and other senses are certainly working fine when she hears that her Jiji is homesick.
    I was laughing my head off at Khushi's statement or rather understatement - " I can't go around killing my jiji's jethji. It's bad manners"
    OMG, your updates are coming in so fast. Looking forward to the next one -that is , as soon as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. More more... They make my day...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!! Awesome turn of events!!! Simply loved every bit of this story! I cannot wait to see how Arnav changes and how he opens up to Khushi!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hail manorama band! !! What an idea sirji. Call Khushi and feed her to the lion ..

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a lovely update... Preeto was bang on...

    ReplyDelete
  12. i used to idolize the way portray your arnav that khushi was the first and last girl who touched him physically and emotionally but you made me cringe di i used to love the loyal arnav but today i hate myself for thinking that i can find solace in your creations you made my heart bleed di it might be small thing for you but you gave me pain today

    i can't even curse you because of the respect you can't imagine how much i cried just reading the word sex , the sex which he did with the girls
    i know you will be angry knowing this from me and probably write some more but i can't help it

    please do something ,i can't bear this

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. the bitch anjali know everything about her bastard brother but still she is trying to sell khushi to arnav who may heart the poor good hearted girl
    can't you make nk and khushi married

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's really interesting now...Afghan jalebi ki entry in khadus home. ...hahahhahaha....maja ayega jab khushi asr ko nachayegi ki he getss desperate to marry..will really love if u can just put a scene of khushi slapping arnav out of mistake ..like once they showed in show. .but she shud not apologise. .hahaha just my imagination...u r really a blessed writer. ...I am eagerly waiting for ur updates.....thabjs again and Gud luck and God bless u

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enjoying this read as well ..Smita!

    Reviving IPK days... Fantastic! Thanks for updating so often!

    Looking forward to how Khushi's charm will work wonders on ASR...

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You truly know how to indulge and spoil us.This is great, I do like how Lavanya has left ASR because the relationship is not working out and not because of Khuhsi.

    NK has said not to marriage but Armav does not know this!! Mami is very clever - but I do ask why Afghan Jalebi - whats the reason behind the name..

    Seeta

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow amazing update loved it can't wait for next part thank you......ameena671

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice update. I've always loved Arnav and Khushi falling in love and getting married. But this time, I don't think ASR or Arnav deserves Khushi. She is so innocent and he has been in all intimate relationships with many other females and doesn't care for their feelings. It isn't fair that men have different rules than women. Had Khushi been in some kind of relationship with men, ASR would surely call her a b****. He has already released his hurtful words even before knowing her. Why should she fall in love with him. Would be better if NK and Khushi fall in love and get married.
    As a writer you have always enchanted us with their love stories... But this Arnav is just not our Arnav...not to mention his sister Anjali's hand in this..feeling bad for Khushi...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now that Lavanya is out the picture let's see how this story unfolds....

    ReplyDelete
  23. lavanya out khushi in...mami ji lag jao kaam pe

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cant wait for Arnav's reaction on seeing Khushi.

    ReplyDelete
  25. ASR in love damn she will needs a wip a gun and a bottle of panadol asr breaking up with La was good it will be interesting to see his reaction to Khushi in his house .

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome update..........finally it was good that lavanya and ASR broke before khushi's arrival............Manorama Baand started working..........but poor payalia knows the truth and can't do anything right now..........ASR here comes Khushi........be ready..............

    ReplyDelete
  27. Arnav is in for a big shock when he will see khushi at his home.
    Continue soon

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ok... the Raizadas have always been pretty self-centered( well in the original story), but seriously... don't they realize how insulting this is to Payal... but I do see fireworks, in the near future... atleast in ASR's head... yep all that darkness is about to be blown to pieces, I fear.

    'He ducked, having lots of practice.'

    There's is that dry, understated, slyly slipped in sense of humor.

    One of the things that I really like about your stories, is the role that you give to Mami ji. She is adorable! And positive! and verbose... with her bootiful language!

    Loved the chapter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right. I feel like hugging mamiji. Everyone should have mamiji like this one. You've hit on a point that is very prevalent in society. Families esp. the so called elders think that marriage is the solution to whatever is wrong in a guy's life - be it drinking, gambling, womanizing. Kudos, to Smitaji for handling this issue with sensitivity and humour. I'm sure this Khushi is no door mat and will whip ASR into shape. Can't wait.

      Delete
  29. Loving it smita ji
    Weird thing is that I can comment if I read on my phone and not on my computer

    ReplyDelete
  30. Poor lavanya. Arnav is very frank, he is not beating around the bush. He talked to her smoothly and packed her off to London before khushi arrives.

    Hope khushi teaches him a nice lesson for talking to her so cheaply.

    Maami Baand is amazing. She has amazing ideas.

    Lovely part Smita. Waiting for next part.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Smitaji, I just want say a few words here.This is just my POV and why I love this update so much and consider it your best. I've read a few comments and I just wanted to express my views. I don't, absolutely don't mean to offend anyone.

    You've captured ASR in all his shades of grey while at the same time bringing out the qualities in Arnav that we love so much.
    1. He is honest and straightforward - He is open about his relationships b'cos he is "an adult and a bachelor". He thinks (at least till now) that marriage is not on the cards for him and he lives his life as he sees fit. He does not hide anything from his sister partly b'cos she is his confidant (as much as he allows ) and partly b'cos she is of his generation and can understand. He demonstrates his respect for the elders in his family by not divulging such info to them - not out of shame but b'cos they belong to a different generation and he does not want to offend their sensibilities.
    2.He is loyal to a fault as he remains monogamous in his relationships, doesn't cheat or go behind anyone's back.
    3.He never makes any promises that he can't keep and will go to any length to make sure he keeps the ones that he makes.
    4. Sincere, methodical, single minded towards everything in his life esp. work.
    5.Ruthless and arrogant - He had to be since he had to establish his business and restore the family fortunes. He learnt that there are no free rides in this world and that he has to fight tooth and nail to achieve what he wants.
    While his family loves him they lead a pretty cloistered life. It's to his credit that he doesn't bring the harsh realities of everyday life to them and is very protective of them.
    6. It is very evident that he loves his family and will do anything for them like attending Akash's wedding and I'm sure will come to NK's aid even if he considers him a pest.
    Circumstances have made ASR what he is but with the right person all this could change.
    This reminds of a quote by Elizabeth Barrett Browning " I love you not only for who you are but what I am when I am with you,I love you for not only what you have made of yourself but what you are making of me" I think this suits both ASR and KKG to a T.
    He just needs to meet the right person and I can only imagine what kind of a person he would become with all these qualities tempered with LOVE - haaaiiiiiyyyyyeee!!! That Khushi is one lucky girl.
    Sorry, I rambled on and on but I just needed to get this off my chest. This is ASR and that's why I think I'm always so fascinated by his transformation into Arnav.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, KC. Completely agree with you... The guy didn't lie or hide his feelings at all... La went into it with open eyes and then decided to change the rules. Not his fault!

      Delete
  32. Well said...I totally agree..arnav is honest and true thats a very gud quality. ..

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well said...I totally agree..arnav is honest and true thats a very gud quality. ..

    ReplyDelete
  34. Kaaycee and scrapbooker, Couldn't agree more. I feel ASR of this story is closest to the one shown in the serial. I mean he is a Harvard educated professional, heads a fashion conglomerate, has radical views about the institution of marriage, in fact loathes the whole concept thanks to his bitter past. Has sworn never to marry. Neither did he promise Lavanya an ever after, nor does he intend to spend his life with any other woman. I do not feel he is answerable to anyone and he most certainly is not hurting any soul. He is free to have affairs. How can one expect him to be a virgin all his life ??!!?? This is exactly how he was portrayed in the beginning of the show. Isn't he the ASR, the flawed character, we all loved to hate? Quite an accurate and realistic depiction of his character, Smi.

    Wouldn't it be interesting to see how a special someone enters his life and completely alters his views? And what if that woman is pure, virtuous, guileless, whiter than white, all sunshine...a start contrast to his murkiness and gloom?
    What an epic love story it will be, when the misogamist in him turns into the lover who leaves no stone unturned to tie his lady love to himself for all eternity!!

    He has never lied to or cheated the women he has had transient relationships with. So it is reasonable to expect that when the time comes to profess his true love, he would come clean about all the skeletons in his closet. Moving on to Khushi, I firmly believe one simply can't choose when and whom to fall in love with. Love is complex, intense and completely impractical!! So if she falls for him, it is on her, not on him. And knowing she has given herself to him freely and accepted him fully, flaws and all....wouldn't that make him aware of the depth of her love? Then I am sure he will treasure his Khushi....love her to death.

    I can't wait for the story to unfold, Smi. They are going to be under the same roof.!! Diwali is around the corner. I can see sparks flying. :P Jaldi update karo.... Jaldiiiii.... Speaking of Diwali.... I have to get that rangoli done...Need to depart from Arshiland ... byee!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You put it so well Priya! I'm still blown away by this update and you're right, this is the ASR that was shown right at the beginning. Of course, he couldn't have had such a conversation with Lavanya, 'cos, the makers of the show didn't want all the 7:30 p.m aunties to (gasp) keel over from a coronary.Actually, when you look at it, ASR has a lot of good qualities. It's just that he believes that attack is the best form of defence.
      He is, what, around 28/29 years of age and he has lived with the horrible reality of his parents and their marriage. This dark view of life is further reinforced by the women and men that exist in his world. So of course he is going to fight tooth and nail when along comes someone who is all sweetness, goodness, fun, chirpy, always looking out for others, no sense of self preservation, to rock his world on its foundation. It can't be easy to give up and change all his notions preconceived or otherwise in a jiffy.

      Looks like ASR is not the only one who can sketch beautiful designs. Smitaji, you are an artist too - what a wonderful character sketch and all this done through just a conversation between 2 people. I repeat, I'm blowwwwwwn away. Please update. My Diwali preparations are hanging by a thread b'cos I can't tear myself away from the laptop. I have sweets to prepare and a whole host of other chores. Please take pity on me.

      Delete
    2. Typo... *stark* contrast
      The comment section seriously needs an 'edit' button. :P

      Delete
    3. LOL @ '7.30 p.m. aunties' !!

      And Smi, my sweet request (on behalf of kaycee) ....*makes puppy-dog eyes*......for an early update. After all she needs to get her mithai done in time for Diwali. :P

      Delete
    4. Tum donon kahe aur hum na karein? Aisa ho sakta he kya? Will post tonight, but a bit late. Just got home after a hectic day. So kC's sweets are saved. LOL!

      Delete
  35. Extremely well written Smita. You captured ASR perfectly . Loved the convo with La… it reflected his world view ( wrong or right ) . The La ASR breakup in IPK was one of the good scenes in IPK… but what you have written is much more mature and believable . Guess that SP aunties would have balked at such a mature convo on TV at 8 PM!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I only don't like one thing in the story… the fact that Khushi is being used as a guinea pig in the exercise… but then we had to get Khushi to Delhi somehow.. so all is forgiven!

    ReplyDelete
  37. A tsunami called khushie is going to visit shantivan ,I hope ASR is prepared and looking fwd to how she wrecks a havoc on all that he perceivedas that he was in control ,

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hello Hi Smita Ji,
    Njan ippo entha parayuka? ;)
    This is one of the rarest story where ASR is given such a lengthy speech to some one.
    Lavanya got the answer for her question...The answer she scared the most.
    I loved Aman's reaction..lol
    So Khushi is gonna come to Delhi.Let us see how long THE ASR can control his heart(even though he said he doesn't possess such a thing) :D
    Will be waiting for the next part :D

    ReplyDelete
  39. As soon as I read that you are going to post the next update tonight, I was infused with new energy and decided to get at least one sweet out of the way. So now my coconut barfi is ready. Eagerly waiting to read the next instalment.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Replies
    1. Oh,it's wonderful news!!!!!! Eagerly waiting!! I'm so,so happy, dear Smita!!:)))))

      Delete
  41. Interesting smitha. .. lets see what awaits khushi in delhi...

    ReplyDelete
  42. I hope she teaches a lesson

    ReplyDelete