Thursday 8 January 2015

186. OS 9: The Diabetic and the Halwai (Part 5)





Darlings,

I finally published my romantic novel, A HOME FOR MEENAKSHI on a self-publishing site. It is an e-book. You can purchase it and read it at your leisure. Here's the link. Enjoy!




http://pothi.com/pothi/book/ebook-smita-ramachandran-home-meenakshi


Link to e-book



Part 5


She went to his room a couple of hours later to fight. She paused before pushing open the door.

What if he was still unclothed? Last time he had been just shirtless. What if he didn’t have the pants too this time? She gulped and knocked gently on the door like a good girl with impeccable manners.

There was no response.

Khushi frowned and tried again. Why was he not playing fair when she had mended her behaviour?

He didn’t open the door.

A horrible thought flashed through her mind. What if he was lying unconscious in the room? What if her pijja had made him ill? Abandoning her newfound manners by the wayside, she pushed open the door.

He was lying on the green diwan near the window, thankfully fully dressed.

Khushi tiptoed to him and looked at the easy rise and fall of his chest. He was asleep. She heaved a sigh of relief.

He was asleep. Khushi frowned.

He was asleep? After driving her crazy with his pijja and his lack of response, he was asleep? She placed her hands on her hips and looked at his face with cross eyes.



“Haiyye! Look at him!” Khushi exclaimed. “He looks like a nice, innocent baccha when asleep. It is only when he wakes up that he plots to fool me. His pijja and his challenge! The devil! Let him wake up. I will show him who Khushi Kumari Gupta is!”

She turned and walked out of the room.

Arnav opened his eyes and smiled. He better rest and conserve his energy to face the next pijja-like bomb she was going to throw at him, he mused.

His smile widened. His life was changing for the better.






Khushi walked up to Arnav’s room in the evening with a tray in her hands. It held a cup of tea. She looked anxiously at the dark liquid. Should she have added more milk to it? Would the colour give away the fact that she had spiced it up with pepper, lots of pepper?

“Khushiji?” Akash called, leaving his brother’s room.

“Err..I..I brought tea,” she stammered.

Akash looked at the single cup on the tray.

“Err..your tea is downstairs,” Khushi explained quickly. “All are waiting for you in the dining room.”

Akash pushed his specs up the bridge of his nose. “Shall I take it in for bhai?” Akash looked at the tray.

“Ji, ji,” Khushi smiled, relieved. She pushed the tray into Akash’s hands and ran down.




“Bhai, tea,” Akash called as he placed the tray by a reclining Arnav.

Arnav stretched after a restful nap filled with pleasant dreams of a smiling Khushi.

He looked at the single cup on the tray. A warning tingled down his spine, his instincts working overtime.

“Where is yours?” he asked.

“In the dining room,” Akash replied.

"Who brought this?” Arnav asked, knowing the answer.

“Khushiji,” Akash replied.

A smile quirked Arnav’s lips. “Go and have your tea, Akash. I will come down for dinner,” he said.


After Akash left him, Arnav carefully dipped a finger in the steaming liquid and tasted it.

His eyes watered, his tongue burned. He quickly disposed off the tea and drank glass after glass of cool water from the earthern pot in the room.





Khushi looked up eagerly at the stairs. Would he shout for help? Drop the cup? Thrilled at her own inventiveness, she hugged herself. The tea would do its job.

“Arnav Singh Raizada and his veg pijja! Hmmmpppffff,” she snorted. He would think twice before he even looked at her!

She chuckled at her own smartness.

“Khushi, why are you laughing?” Payal asked, a look of suspicion on her face.

Khushi wiped off her smile with great difficulty. “Nothing, Jiji,” she replied, batting her eyelids to establish her innocence.

Payal’s frown intensified.

“Kaa he, Nandkisore?” Buaji asked.

“Khushi is up to something,” Payal passed judgement.

“Hai Re Nandkisore!” Buaji exclaimed. “What have you done now?”

Khushi put her hands on her hips. “Why do you always assume that I am up to no good?” she asked, her lips pursed.

“Because you often are?” Payal asked.

Before Khushi could retaliate, Mamiji, Nani and Anjali joined them.

“Buaji, I was thinking of going to the temple,” Anjali smiled.

“Acha he, acha he, Nandkisore. Jao, jao. Take Payaliyya with you. Khussi, will you go with them?” Buaji asked.

“I have to go to the shop, Buaji,” Khushi replied, gulping down her tea. She had wasted too much time on the pijja, the pijja man and his gut-burning tea.

“She and her shop,” Buaji muttered. “They were born together from her mother’s womb.”

All laughed.

Khushi narrowed her eyes at Buaji.

“Don’t growl at me, you Sanka Devi,” Buaji retorted. “Other girls will marry boys and start their lives. You will sit here hugging this shop to your heart.”

Before Khushi could reiterate her love for her shop, Mamiji stepped in. “Bhere are the shops phor shopping?” she asked. “I have to buy kajal, bindi, rouge, jhumka...” Her list was never-ending.

“Manorama!” Nani chided her. What would the Guptas think of Manorama?

But Mami had no such worries. “Saasumma, I am Manorama Raijjada. I have to be tip-taap.”


As the ladies discussed the best shops, Khushi went to her Satwik Mishtaan Bhandar where her boys were waiting for her. She spared a worried look in the direction of Arnav's room as she left.

Why hadn't he called out? Had he drunk the tea? Had he dropped in a dead faint, overpowered by the goodness of her pepper tea?


25 comments:

  1. Congratulations Smiths...well deserved.. I hope you become a super successful author...all the very best

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, my dear! Hope it becomes a success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hearty Congrats Smita. Awesome update How's Arnav going to deal with a FORCE called Khushi:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question! He has unleashed the lioness in her!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your own ebook smitha ....wishing you more such successes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank u, my dear. I dared to publish it only because of the support of my readers-friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many many congratulations dearest!

    I tried to buy it with my iPhone but it shows an error. Once I go home I will try again.
    When I read the summary, I kept imagining Minakshi with Khushi's face :-)

    I will go and read your new update in my break! Hurray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy. I think you will like it. It is a mellow romance with 2 characters I have fallen in love with.

      Delete
    2. I bought it :-)

      Are these your own characters created by yourself or based on a show or famous couple?

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. mojgane10 January 2015 at 00:49


      Perfect! I can open it in kindle too. I prefer to read my e-books in my iPad and not my iPhone :-)

      Wish you lots of success and please publish an Arshi e-book with a powerful Khushi. I will be the first to buy it and will promote it as well. Promise!

      Ps. My neighbor's mother came to help her Bahu who just gave birth to the little Anoup :-) do you know what was my first question when I just came back from running and met her in the front yard?
      "Did you watch IPKKND?" Not really my first but my third one. She said NO. Most of the Indian I meet here haven't watched it and I try to convince them. They certainly think I am crazy, hai na?

      Ps2. MBC Bollywood is showing IPKKND in Arabic and I am so jealous that persian channels are so tasteless and haven't bought it yet. I sent an email to a persian TV channel and just told them about MBC :-) hope my long lecture-style email could wake their curiosity at least since MBC is like their rival :)

      Delete
    5. Marketing guru, that's what you are!

      The characters in my novel, Adi & Meenu are my own. Fully. I can't publish anything on ArHi due to copyright issues. They belong to the makers of IPKKND & I can't profit from it.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on your publication of a E-book. Wishing you many more publications!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank u, my dear. If this turns out to be a hit, I will definitely publish more.

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year Smita and a very hearty congratulations on your new book. I just read the summary. Will definitely buy it and comment. I'm sure it will be a success.
    Poor Khushi. ASR seems to be one step ahead of her. I'm waiting for the fireworks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will update tomorrow.

      Thanx a million. I am hoping this novel will be a hit. If it is, I will definitely publish many more.

      Delete
  10. Dearest Smita,

    Can I have your e-mail address? I couldn't find it in your profile. I need to tell you something related to our discussion above :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Smita, Sorry for delay in reply. I will be definitely getting your e-book and reading it.

    About the current update, ASR's shatir dimag is running at 1000 speeds higher than Sanka devi's isn't it?

    Looking forward to next part

    ReplyDelete
  12. damn didnt realise you had updated
    curses missed out on so much
    oh well now am here
    wow congrats first on your novel
    and now onto this
    she is good
    coming up with such ideas
    yup arnav you gotta be very very careful
    god knows what else she has up her sleeve
    she doctored his tea
    shame he didnt drink it
    but best he doesnt
    or else he will be ill for sure
    and even she doesnt want that
    what she said about arnav is so true
    while sleeping he is innocent
    when he is anything but that
    she was up to no good though wasnt she so why make a fuss dear

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed your twist in the story; that Arnav checked his tea before he drank it. Looks like someone's using their Harvard brain.
    If Arnav actually drank that tea, Khushi would have meet his mistress: anger

    ReplyDelete